Manage My Life

Kenmore Elite Bottom Freezer Refrigerator #596.73503201

Kenmore Elite Bottom Freezer Refrigerator, model #596.73503201

All the food in the freezer melted overnight, completely defrosted. The lights are still on inside the fridge and freezer. I can see and hear it still running though.

I pulled it out from the wall, took off the back panel and vacuumed it out carefully. When I went to plug it back in the capacitor or overload relay area turned bright yellow, and sizzled or sparked. I immediately unplugged it. It has a "burnt" smell to it. That wasn't the problem BEFORE I vacuumed it!

Before I vacuumed it out and plugged it back in, it just wasn't freezing food. Now, I have the burnt smell and it sparked and turned bright yellow? Did I do more damage to it when I vacuumed in and around the compressor? I thought I was being very careful. Should I attempt to plug it back in now that it has sat unplugged for four hours and see what happens? Will I spark or burn again? Can I get shocked or blow out the electrical plug? What did I do to cause that to happen? By the way, the ice maker stopped making ice about a year ago.

Air Compressors , Kenmore , Refrigerators , Upright Vacuums , Appliances
Sign in to answer a question
6 Answers from these members:
Manage My Life
Refrigerators are the most important appliance in a home because it keeps are food fresh. While you are waiting on an expert to answer your question, a suggestion I have is to visit Sears Home Services website to set service with a Sears technician. I have attached the link below. Hope this helps!
by Manage My Life
April 13th, 2011
Answered in 8 minutes
0 votes
To view more answers
Join Now
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question