Manage My Life

How do I replace the overload relay on my refrigerator?

I have a Kenmore Elite refrigerator model 596.73502202 with serial number 12388602EE. Do you have a parts diagram for this refrigerator?

Kenmore , Refrigerators , Appliances
Sign in to answer a question
3 Answers from these members:
Manage My Life
You can view a parts diagram for your refrigerator by clicking the Parts link on Sears.com. After keying in your model number, you will see a list of parts diagram pages. The overload relay will be on the COMPRESSOR page. The overload relay is Key #10 on this page. The part number is 67002783.

The replacement of this part is normally conducted by a service technician. You should only attempt this replacement if you are completely confident that you can safely complete the repair. Follow electical safety guidelines. Disconnect electrical power before accessing internal components of the refrigerator. The capacitor will also need to be discharged to prevent electrical shock. Internal metal edges may be sharp. Protective gloves are recommended.

Assuming that you have already tested the overload relay and the capacitor is discharged, here is a procedure for changing the part:

First, remove power (unplug the refrigerator) from the wall. Remove the rear cover at the lower back portion of the refrigerator.

The relay overload component is located and mounted on the side of the compressor at the rear of the refrigerator. It will be mounted on the left side of the compressor with the capacitor mounted over it which acts a cover. There will be a wire retainer clip securing the capacitor over the relay/overload assembly. Pry the wire retainer off at one end and remove the retainer. Pull the old relay off and replace it.

NOTE: Make a note of which wires are connected where at the relay/overload and capacitor before removing them.

Reverse the procedure to reassemble.
by Manage My Life
December 4th, 2007
Answered in 0 seconds
0 votes
To view more answers
Join Now
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question