Manage My Life

Why won't the new light bulb in our GE Profile convection/microwave oven turn off?

by Manage My Life Last activity date:
February 16th, 2010

We have a 2 & 1/2 year old GE Profile Convection/Microwave model JVM1790SK01. It is over the range and the light is for the range top. We bought a new light bulb from GE parts. We plugged the bulb in and it won't turn down or off, it stays on continuously. We have tried to reboot the oven by unplugging it for 30 seconds and turning it back on but that doesn't help the light to turn off. What can we do?

Tags:
Microwaves , Ranges , Wall Ovens , Appliances
Be the first to comment
Ask your friends
Answers (1)
Lyle W
The range top light is controlled by the control board inside the microwave. It is likely that the control board would need to be replaced to fix this type of problem. Internal component repairs on a microwave must be completed by a service technician. This would not be a repair that you should attempt yourself. A high voltage capacitor inside the microwave will retain a lethal electrical charge even when the microwave is completely unplugged. This is why I recommend that you have a service technician diagnose and repair the microwave.

NOTE: This type of repair would likely cost more than $350 for parts and labor. You may consider doing without the light or replacing the microwave instead of repairing it.
by Lyle W | Earned 283 community points in Appliances |
February 16th, 2010
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
Add your own answer
Sign in to answer a question
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question
"