Skip to content
Manage My Life

Kenmore Elite microwave, model 721.64683300 works for 7 secs and then shuts off with displaying error code F-9.

Our Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave Technology microwave (model 721.64683300) works for 7 seconds while making a clicking noise and then shuts off displaying an error message "F-9". What is that and what should we do next? I checked the manual and it does not give an info on this error code. I also called Sears help line and they told me that it is some sort of a power failure code but had no further details. They directed me to you so I hope you can help us ASAP. We also unplugged the microwave from the power source but it did not do anything. Please contact us ASAP.

Kenmore , Microwaves , Small Kitchen Appliances
Sign in to answer a question
2 Answers from these members:
Joseph Perez
I use my microwave everyday so I understand how important it is for your microwave to be working properly. While you are waiting for an expert answer, I did manage to find a link that will provide you with more information about the error code you are receiving. I hope my link is useful.
by Joseph Perez Earned 62,642 community points in Kenmore
September 30th, 2010
Answered in 8 minutes
0 votes
Sam A
Thank you for your question.

I amy sorry that you microwave is not working. I know when ours went out, you realize how much you use and depend on it.

Microwaves are inherently dangerous to service. They contain high voltage internal component that can retain a lethal electrical charge even when the microwave is completely unplugged. A microwave shielding leakage test must be performed on the unit using proper testing equipment following any internal component access or repair before the microwave can safely be returned to service. These are the reasons why I recommend that you have a service technician repair this microwave failure.

This error code of f9 is telling the control board that the inverter power board is not working.

It also could be the magnetron in that same circuit.

Because this failure is internal for the High Voltage circuit I would suggest that you have a certified microwave technician check the unit out.

I am sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you for using Manage My Life.
by Sam A Earned 29,003 community points in Kenmore
October 1st, 2010
Answered in 17 hours
0 votes
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question
Get up to
% off
On Microwaves