Skip to content
Manage My Life

telescopic downdraft vents

Can a telescopic downdraft vent be used on any cooktop? How hard is it to replace a downdraft slide-in range with a cooktop that has a telescopic vent? How hard is it to replace a downdraft slide-in range with a cooktop and range hood?

Sign in to answer a question
2 Answers from these members:
Manage My Life
That's great to hear that you are wanting to do an upgrade on your kitchen appliance. I placed a link down bellow that might help you understand how to install and it's possible to add a downdraft vent to your cook top.
by Manage My Life
February 7th, 2011
Answered in 12 minutes
0 votes
Lyle W
A telescopic downdraft vent can be installed behind most cook tops. Here is the installation manual for a common type of telescopic downdraft vent (Kenmore model 59966):

Use & Care/Installation Manual

. This should give you an idea of what you are looking at regarding this type of vent. You may be able to use the same vent for this unit that you used for your downdraft slide-in range.

Even though this telescoping downdraft vent can be installed behind most cook tops, you would not be able to install an oven underneath the cook top. You would need to install a wall oven in another location. Keep this in mind as you make your decisions.

Replacing the slide-in downdraft range with any other configuration of cooking appliances will require significant counter construction. I recommend that you consult with a local contractor regarding a major revision. If that revision will cost too much, I recommend that you consider replacing the downdraft slide-in range with another current model of downdraft slide-in range. Jenn-Air still manufactures several models of downdraft slide-in ranges. Here is a link for one model:

Jenn-Air Stainless Steel 30" Slide-In Electric Downdraft Range w/ Convection JES9800CA


Replacing a slide-in range with a cook top and a conventional range hood will also involve significant cabinet work. You will also need to arrange the venting to the outside of your home unless you want to recirculate the exhaust air back into the kitchen after it passes through a grease filter inside the range hood.

If hope that this information helps. If you need more assistance, reply with additional details.

If you need a contractor to help you with this remodel, I recommend that you consider the pre-screened professionals on the website. Here is a link for that website:
by Lyle W Earned 36,480 community points in Ranges
February 9th, 2011
0 votes
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question
Get up to
% off
On Ranges