Manage My Life

I bought a new house. My dryer is a 4 prong and my house has a 3 prong outlet? What can I do? Do I have to change the outlet or can I get a newcord or adapter?

by Manage My Life Last activity date:
February 17th, 2011

The dryer is GE # 572D561 on the back. Can I get an adapter or maybe use a 3 prong cord on my 4 wire dryer- or will that start a fire or something? Or do I need to change the outlet and the wiring? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul

Dryers , Washers
Be the first to comment
Ask your friends
Answers (8)
Mark T
Thank you for your question.

This is a very common question. The dryer can have a 3 or 4 prong cord installed. To make the change you have to purchase a cord to fit the outlet you have. Then remove the old cord from the dryer and install the new one. I have provided you with a few images that have the instructions for installing the new cord. Please make sure you turn the power off to the outlet before you attempt any service.

If you need to order a new cord please click on this link to view the


we sell.

If you need further assistance on this issue, please reply below with more details.

If you do not feel confident repairing this problem yourself, then you can have it repaired at your home by a Sears technician. Here is a link for the website:

Sears Home Services


Thank you for using Manage my life.

Mark T.
Answered in 2 hours
by Mark T
February 17th, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
To view more answers
Join Now
Add your own answer
Sign in to answer a question
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question