Top Brands
Brands You Follow
You Visited
You Follow
You Search For
Hottests Topics
Featured Catalogs
People Like You
Your apps
Discover apps
Get Advice
Top Questions
Your Q&A
Friends Asked
Ask A Question | Show All Questions
More on ShopYourWay
Manage My Life

Samsung RF217AB Ice Maker White Wire w/ Sensor

by Manage My Life Last activity date:
July 22nd, 2011

I have a Samsung french door refrigerator, model rf217ab. There is a white wire (about 6 inches long) that is hanging from the ice maker (located in the pull out drawer freezer). The wire appears to have a sensor on the end of it. I also found two pieces (one foam and the other plastic) that I believe house this sensor. Assuming that it can be reattached, where does it go? If it cannot be reattached, will I have to replace the entire ice maker assembly or just a specific part?

Refrigerators , Samsung , Appliances
Be the first to comment
Ask your friends
Answers (5)
Manage My Life
James, I am glad you got the icemaker fixed. Scott will be back 7/26 and I will let him know.
by Manage My Life
July 22nd, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
The part number alone, that you gave me, was enough help to quickly search for an accurate picture of my actual ice maker.
by Manage My Life
July 21st, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
Thanks! That took care of it. I knew it would be a simple fix, I just couldn't find exactly where the piece went...
by Manage My Life
July 21st, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
scott d
I'm sorry you are having this problem with your icemaker. What you see is the sensor that activates the icemaker. It will mount under the tray and the foam and plastic piece hold the sensor in place. The foam will fit inside the plastic piece and there should be a couple of tabs on the tray, where this plastic piece attaches and holds the sensor up against the tray. If it cannot be reattached, the complete icemaker # DA97-05037C will need to be replaced. I hope this will help you. If you would like more assistance, any additional details will be helpful and I will be glad to assist you further.

If you do not feel confident repairing this problem yourself, then you can have it repaired at your home by a Sears technician. Here is a link for the website:

Sears Home Services

by scott d
July 11th, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
afritz afritz
Manage My Life is a great website to speak directly to an expert who can help you every step of the way to solving the problem you are having. An expert shall have an answer to your question within 24 to 48 hours. Have a great day.
Answered in 29 minutes
by afritz afritz
July 8th, 2011
| Be the first to comment
0 votes
Add your own answer
Sign in to answer a question
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question