Skip to content
?
Manage My Life

Kenmore HE2 Dryer power button broke off

See picture (worth a thousand words!). Cheap plastic tabs broke off on the main START button on our Kenmore HE2 dryer. We can still start the dryer buy holding the small white switch beneath the surface of the machine on the circuit board. Will this work long term? Any danger of getting shocked? Our HE2t washer power button cover has worn off too, but its button is still connected. This is cheap plastic button designs. Not like the old days when washers and dryers lasted 20 years. These units are under 5 years old working well other than the cheap interface to run them.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Pat

Tags
Dryers , Kenmore , Washers
Sign in to answer a question
6 Answers from these members:
Manage My Life
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your Kenmore HE2 Dryer. I did some research for you at Manage My Life and found this expert response that may shed some llght on the problem. I have attached the link below. Please provide the expert the model # for the best possible answer. Click on the reply box below to do so. Continue this existing thread. Thanks. If you do decide to schedule service and have a qualified technician help you, I have also attached a link to Searshomeservices. I hope these links provided assist you.
by Manage My Life
January 3rd, 2012
Answered in 7 minutes
Comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
Thank James for the ideas. I think I will continue to use my go around that seem to start up the dryer. Basically the plastic button on the circuit board can be accessed by sticking your finger into the hole where the broken button used to go. the start switch on the circuit board is only 1" into the face of the dryer control panel. Hold it down for 3 seconds, and the machine starts. I'm afraid the repair, even though simple on the surface, would require a new circuit board and the dryer is out of warranty. Just wished Kenmore design engineers used a stronger material to connect to their start buttons since this is a part that will be pushed many times over the course of use. Thanks for now!
by Manage My Life
January 4th, 2012
Comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
Hi Pat,



Thank you for submitting a question to Manage My Life. I am sorry you are having this issue with your dryer.

When we see this issue it is most often caused by cleaning chemicals or sun light exposure. The only way to repair this is to replace the control panel. There is some danger of electrical shock by starting your dryer in this fashion.

If you do not feel confident repairing this problem yourself, then you can have it repaired at your home by a Sears technician. Here is a link for the website:

Sears Home Services

.

Here is a link that you may use to view the parts list diagram or to purchase any parts needed;

Sears Parts Direct

.

I hope this is helpful. If I may be of further assistance please reply to this post.

Landell
by Manage My Life
January 5th, 2012
Comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
Hi Pat,
My name is Kelly. The exact thing just happened to my START button about one hour ago! This dryer is about 4 years old. I just had an ignitor fixed on it about 2 months ago. Now, this! I too can get the dryer to start if I press on the button area for about 3 seconds. I also ear I will need a new control panel/circuit board, therefore want to hold off on this repair if at all possible. Have you fixed your's yet? My experience with BOTH the Kenmore Washer and Dryer have been very poor considering I spent bout $2500.
by Manage My Life
January 24th, 2012
Comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
i have the same kenmore he2 dryer with the same problem! but i have never had it exposed to sunlight or harsh chemicals and the button completely broke off as well. as a matter of fact, mine is about the same 3 or 4 years old and has basically been 'babied' as far as im concerned. i was very happy to find your site and read the above thread, as i have spent a lot on this dryer and the warranty is expired as well. now i will just hold the 2 areas of the back of the button against that circuit board until it starts for a few seconds--THANKS TO YOUR THREAD!!!! i couldnt even get it started this morning and you have saved me great havoc, as my daughter needs a certain shirt dried for school this am! thank you!!
by Manage My Life
May 15th, 2012
Comment
0 votes
Manage My Life
Shell,



Be careful. I do not recommend starting your dryer in this fashion due to the possibility of electrical shock. I highly recommend replacing the control panel on your dryer.



I hope this is helpful. If I may be of further assistance please reply to this post.



Landell
by Manage My Life
May 15th, 2012
Comment
0 votes
Didn't find what you are looking for? Ask a question
Get up to
40
% off
On Dryers