Bout one from Ace slightly different model. That one would not run when I hit the throttle and took many pulles to start it. So I returned it the next day. Then went to Sears and picked this one up. Assembled the handle, guard and connected the shaft. Less than 5 min. Put the mixed fuel in, primed it 10 pumps like it tells you in the instructions pulled the cord one time and it started right up. Ran beautifully I thought that was amazing. PS. I don't know what one of the other reviewers were talking about putting 7 feet of trim line on. This unit I bout takes one piece maybe a foot long there is no winding at all.
I received light duty curved shaft model as a Christmas present to replace my 15 year old gas trimmer. On my first day of use, the engine failed to maintain sufficient power, so I exchanged and "upgraded" to this medium-duty model. It is a longer straight shaft model and has the bump-feed option in addition to the “Hassle Free” feed. The design itself is a neat concept, but the actual product is a giant FAIL. Day 1 observations (after exchanging the original lemon at Sears): Pros Initial assembly is easy, 5 minutes or less to get up and running. Use pre-mixed ethanol-free fuel from the store, which will maintain longer engine life. The 3 step start, engine and throttle were impressive for an inexpensive trimmer. Started right up and runs like a champ. Cons Unlike other brands that use spooled line, you have to feed 2 separate lines into the head (through the eyelets) and wind it manually by turning the bump head. The design makes it impossible to feed equal amounts of line, as each side seems to feed at different rates, if it feeds at all. After 30 minutes of toying with it, I managed to get both 7’ sections wound with about 5” of trimmer line to use. I trimmed around 4 mulch beds totaling 100’ when I ran out of trimmer line. Back to the garage to refill. Trying to work the line in for nearly ½ hr I disassembled the bump head and found about 2.5’ feet in each spool.. somehow they managed to get tangled and failed to extend anymore line when bumping. I removed the old line, cut 2 fresh pieces and spent several minutes trying to wind these into the head. I ultimately gave up and fed one of the Hassle Free lines through and went back to work. Sears told me these Hassle Free lines need to be kept sealed in their packaging with a small moist sponge, otherwise they get brittle. I assume the batch that came with this unit must have dried out, because I trimmed for 5 minutes when it ran out. Refilled and trimmed several more minutes then back to the garage for a refill. With .91 acres to trim around, I calculated that I would spend about $40/mo on these “Hassle Free” trimmer lines at this rate - completely unacceptable. Decided once again to feed the bump-head line and hope I can finish trimming in one day. I removed the remnant line and worked to feed the new line through with no success. While trimming it is easy to get grass and debris in the eyelets, which prevent successful feeding the line. Once again I had to disassemble the head, clean it, reassemble and feed line. It is impossible to feed this evenly so I gave up and borrowed my neighbor’s trimmer to finish the job. In total I spent about 2 hrs trying to feed line in this thing. I have been a loyal Craftsman customer for many years and also maintained F-16s in the Air Force, so I know my around tools and engines. This trimmer is an absolute no-go unless you enjoy wasting time and raising your blood pressure. Back to Sears this week for a total refund this time.