Please be sure to read these instructions completely before beginning the cleaning process.
1) Open the washer door and remove any clothing or items from the washer.
2) Inspect the grey colored seal between the door opening and the basket for stained areas. Be sure
to pull back the seal to be able to see all areas of the seal.
3) If stained areas are found, wipe down these areas of the seal using the following procedure:
a) Mix a dilute solution of liquid chlorine bleach (3/4 cup bleach in one gallon of warm tap
b) Wipe the seal area with the dilute solution.
c) Let stand 5 minutes.
d) Wipe down area thoroughly with water only and let air dry.
e) Please note:
i) Do not use bleach at full strength for cleaning surfaces.
ii) The use of rubber gloves is recommended when cleaning for prolonged periods.
4) To begin the cleaning cycle, do the following:
a) Open the washer door and remove any clothing or items from the washer.
b) Be sure door is closed fully and do not add clothes to this cycle.
c) Open the dispenser drawer, if the detergent divider is in the liquid detergent position,
remove the detergent divider, see your use and care guide for instruction on how to
determine which position the divider is in. No additives will be added at this time, you will
be required to add them at a later step.
d) If the washer is a Whirlpool Duet, select the â€œPowerâ€ button. For Kenmore Elite HE3,
HE3t, HE4t products, move to the next step.
e) Select the â€œNormalâ€ wash cycle.
f) Select the hottest wash water temperature available. (Note: Not all temperatures will be
g) Select the highest spin speed available.
h) Select the additional/2nd rinse option (if available).
i) Start the cleaning cycle by pressing and holding the â€œStartâ€ key. The door will lock and
filling will begin. Note: The water will dispense for a moment, then the door will unlock
and relock and the cycle will continue.
j) Once the filling has begun again, Open the dispenser drawer and immediately add 1 (one)
Cup liquid chlorine bleach to the mainwash detergent compartment. The liquid chlorine
bleach should immediately flow out of the dispenser.
NOTE: Do not add any detergent to this cleaning cycle. Use of more than 1 Cup of bleach will
cause product damage over time. Addition of bleach without immediately starting the cycle will
cause product damage over time.
5) Once the cleaning cycle has begun, allow the cycle to completely run.
6) If you removed the detergent compartment divider, be sure to replace the divider to the correct
7) After the cleaning cycle is complete, leave the door slightly open/cracked to allow for better
ventilation and prevention of future odor issues.
Note: If necessary, the cleaning cycle may be interrupted by pressing the â€œPause/Cancelâ€ button,
this will stop the cycle. A â€œRinse and Spinâ€ cycle must then be run to thoroughly rinse the
remaining bleach from the unit. Failure to do so will cause damage to the unit and clothing added to
the next cycle.
In addition to the procedure above, always instruct the homeowner to do the following to prevent
future odor issues.
1) Use only High Efficiency (HE) detergent.
2) Leave the door slightly open after each cycle (when not in use).
3) Repeat the cleaning procedure on a monthly basis, if necessary.
If the procedure does not sufficiently improve the machine odor, please evaluate your installation
and usage conditions for other causes of the odor.